An official website of the United States government

Apply for Citizenship (infant to age 18)

Consular Visit in Gothenburg

The US Consul will be visiting Gothenburg on October 24th and 25th to accept applications for Report of Birth Abroad, Passports, Notaries and Social Security. To request an appointment, please follow our instructions.


Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The U.S. Embassy in Stockholm accepts applications for CRBA for children born in Sweden to U.S. Citizen parent(s). CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

Please consult the transmission requirements for detailed information. If, after reviewing these requirements, you believe that you qualify, please follow the instructions below.

Eligibility Requirements

To apply at U.S. Embassy Stockholm, your child must have been born in Sweden and you must travel to Stockholm for the in-person interview. Eligible parents then have two choices for completion of the CRBA application, an online application or a paper-based application.

Online Application – Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.

1. Was the child born in Sweden?

2. Is the child under the age of 18?

3. Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?

4. Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?

5. Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029). Please see below.

Online CRBA Application – How to Apply


This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

1) To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account. MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video to learn more about creating your account.

2) Once you have created a MyTravelGov account, you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. You may review the necessary documents for the eCRBA application in advance by reviewing this checklist. Please note that when you upload the supporting documents, they must be scanned and saved in PDF.

3) Once you complete the online application and submit payment, please send an email to StockholmCRBA@state.gov. Please include both parents’ names and dates of birth and the child’s name and date of birth in your email. We will send you an appointment by email for your CRBA interview. Please note that you should NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the Embassy.

4) Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of application. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.

5) If you would also like to apply for your child’s passport at the time of your interview, please follow our instructions to apply for a U.S. passport for a Minor under age 16 in Sweden.  Please note that payment for the passport will be made at the time of your appointment at the Embassy. Please do not schedule a separate passport appointment for your child.

Paper-based CRBA Application – How to Apply

Note: If you prefer to submit a paper-based application, please follow the instructions at this link. As noted in the instructions, Social Security Card applications must be completed and submitted separately.

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details.


We are here to help!

  • If you have general questions about using online CRBA application and the end-to-end process, please check out our eCRBA FAQ.
  • Questions about getting started with your eCRBA application, please see our eCRBA Getting Started Guide
  • If your child is over the age of 18 and you think they qualify for citizenship. Please see our First Time Applicant Page.
  • If you have further questions or concerns, please contact StockholmCRBA@state.gov.