An official website of the United States government

Children's Issues FAQs

If you have questions concerning custody and visitation rights you should speak to a lawyer.

The following link will direct you to the English-language pages of the Swedish Bar Association. This link will enable you, using the ‘Find a Lawyer’ tool, to conduct your own search for Swedish attorneys based on location, area of specialization, and/or language abilities.

The American Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the persons or the firms whose names appear in the information found via this link. Further, the Embassy may not recommend or otherwise endorse a specific attorney, nor can it provide any advice itself on legal matters.

See the Swedish Bar Association website.

If you have other concerns regarding Children’s’ Issues, please contact the Embassy’s U.S. Citizen Services unit via U.S. Embassy Stockholm ACS Navigator (google.com).

Contact Information for the Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues
Phone: 1-888-407-4747; 202-501-4444
E-mail: AskCI@state.gov

For more details on Children’s Issues, please see the Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues.

My child has been abducted by the other parent. What do I do?

Contact the Office of Children’s Issues in Washington D.C. immediately if your child is in the process of being abducted internationally by a family member, and is not yet abroad. This office is a part of the Department of State and is the central authority for International Parental Child Abduction.

Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM EST – Call at 202-736-9090 Evenings, Holidays, and Weekends – Call 1-888-407-4747

For more information, please see the Office of Children’s Issues website.

Please feel free to contact the Embassy in Stockholm as well and we will assist you in any way we can.

I fear that my child’s mother/father may be planning to abduct our child. What can I do?

Please see the website of the Office of Children’s Issues for information on different available Prevention Tools.

What is the Hague Abduction Convention?

The Hague Abduction Convention is the primary civil law mechanism for parents seeking the return of the children from other treaty partner countries. For further information, please see the Embassy’s web page on child abduction.

Can I request that my child’s U.S. passport be revoked?

A U.S. passport can usually not be revoked solely at the request of a custodial parent. A U.S. passport may be revoked on the basis of sufficient evidence that the passport was erroneously issued, or that the bearer of the passport no longer is entitled to a passport.

I have reason to believe that my child’s other parent may be trying to apply for a U.S. passport for my child. How can I prevent my child from obtaining a U.S. passport?

The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP) is a service for the parents and legal guardians of minor children. It enables the Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues to notify a parent or court ordered legal guardian, when requested, before issuing a U.S. passport for his or her child. The parent, legal guardian, legal representatives, or the court of competent jurisdiction must submit a written request for entry of a child’s name into the program to the Office of Children’s Issues. This request can be submitted to the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm. For further information, please see the Office of Children’s Issues website.