An official website of the United States government

Consular Report of Birth (CRBA)
January 31, 2023

Individuals born outside the United States to one or both U.S. citizen parent(s), may have a claim to U.S. citizenship.  Please consult the transmission requirements for detailed information.  If, after reviewing these requirements, you believe that you qualify, please follow the instructions below.

For children under 18, complete but not sign the following forms

  • Form DS 2029 – Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad – complete online, then print.
  • Form DS-11 – Application for a Passport – complete online, then print

Complete and sign the following forms:

In addition, collect the following original documents and copies (note that for passports, we only need copies of the biodata page one of the passport, not copies of each page):

  • Child’s Swedish birth certificate:  Long form Swedish birth certificate in English listing both the child and parents’ information signed and stamped by Skatteverket (full instructions on the CRBA checklist).  Short form birth certificates listing just the child are not acceptable; original and one copy
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable):  An original or court certified copy of the marriage certificate for the parents issued by the appropriate authorities in the country in which the marriage took place. Church/Religious certificates are not acceptable. If the parents are not married, this is not required; original and one copy
  • Divorce or death certificate (if applicable):  If either parent has been married previously, they should present the original or court certified divorce decree for all previous marriages; or any death certificates if applicable; original and one copy 
  • Evidence of U.S. Citizenship of the Parent(s) such as a U.S. Passport or U.S. Certificate of Naturalization/Certificate of Citizenship and three copies 
  • Proof of Physical Presence in the United States of the U.S. Citizen parent(s). The U.S. Citizen parent(s) will be asked to present proof of their physical presence in the United States. Examples of proof of physical presence include school records, university transcripts, and employment records.
  • Government issued photo id for non-citizen parent: The non-citizen parent must bring his/her passport or other government issued photo identification document. If you have a new generation Swedish passport, you will need copies of both the photo and signature pages; and two copies 
  • Passport photograph for the child.  Two passport sized (2×2 inch) photographs – see photo requirements for specific information.

Once you have collected all the necessary documents, scan and email your completed DS-2029 to StockholmCRBA@state.gov.   A member of our consular staff will review the form and either schedule you for an appointment or inform you that additional work needs to be done on the form. You will not be scheduled for an appointment until after you have submitted a properly completed application form. 

On the day of your appointment, you will need to bring all of the documents (originals and copies) listed above. Both parents and the child must attend the interview.

Mailing labels and fees:  Additionally, you will need to obtain a waybill and envelope for us to mail your citizenship documents back to you, and bring these with you to your appointment. See below:

  • Self-Addressed C4 sized envelope. We cannot accept stamps or any other form of shipment.
    Prepare an envelope with a shipment label ordered here (Skicka Direkt): Order Shipment Label 
    Choose REK (registered mail) postage and the weight of 250g
    Use the following From/Från address:
    U.S. Embassy, Attn: ACS
    Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31
    SE-115 89 Stockholm
    The recipient (Till) is the person to which you would like your passport to be delivered
    Be advised that the addressee must present a valid Swedish ID to retrieve registered mail from the designated local delivery location
  • Application Fees are payable at the time of your appointment at the Embassy. The fee for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is $100 per child, and Passport fees are $135 for children under age 16 and $165 for those over 16.  Payment may be made by credit card or U.S. dollars. Note: We no longer accept SEK cash.  To use a credit card, it must be unlocked for foreign/U.S. transactions.  If paying by USD, the bills must be clean, unmarked, and undamaged.  We do not accept personal checks.

Processing time for a complete Consular Report of Birth Abroad and first Passport is 3-4 weeks.

You may download the checklist as a PDF here.  You are not required to bring the checklist with you; it is for your information only.

Special Circumstances

If only one parent can attend:

If one custodial parent is not able to attend the interview, s/he must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent. A copy of the front and back of the identity document used to notarize the form must also be provided with the notarized DS-3053.

Alternatively, the applying parent may furnish one of the following documents:

  • Child’s birth certificate listing only one parent;
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent);
  • Court Order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e. the absent parent has no access to the child.  Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order;
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent, or death certificate of non-applying parent.

If the child was born out of wedlock, also provide a completed original DS-5507

If the U.S. citizen father is not able to attend the appointment, this form must be completed, signed, and notarized, and should be presented along with a copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form.

If you have emergency travel plans, you may contact us at STKACSinfo@state.gov after you have sent your DS-2029 according to the instructions above to arrange an appointment for an emergency passport.