An official website of the United States government

Foreign Military Personnel
January 30, 2023

Personnel of foreign armed services from other than NATO countries, coming to the United States in connection with their military status for education or training at any of the U.S. military schools or on a U.S. military installation, are treated as foreign government officials for visa classification purposes.

Visa applications for personnel of foreign armed services must contact their protocol office in order to issue an appropriate note prior to submitting the application to the consular section. In most cases this note is sent by cable directly to the consular section.