Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Stockholm, Sweden (March 20, 2020)
Event: The Swedish Public Health Authority has confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Sweden.
On March 19, the U.S. Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
Effective March 19, Sweden has barred admission for foreign citizens attempting to enter from a country outside of the EEA (European Economic Area) or from Switzerland. Visit the Swedish government website for additional information on these new measures.
Effective March 18, U.S. Embassy Stockholm has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe. The CDC has also issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
The Swedish Public Health Authority released an Risk Assessment regarding the potential for COVID-19 in Sweden. The language of the Risk Assessment is available on its website.
The government of Sweden has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Gatherings larger than 500 people have been banned. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Air Travel to the United States: Many travelers in Sweden have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work directly with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://se.usembassy.gov/covid-19-coronavirus-information/ for information on conditions in Sweden.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy, Stockholm, Sweden
Dag Hammarskjölds väg 31, 115 89 Stockholm
+46 (0) 8 783 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444