The U.S. Embassy in Stockholm processes the full range of visa categories. Please use our visa wizard to see what visa category is appropriate for your purpose of travel.
Depending on your category of visa, you may qualify to apply for or renew your visa by mail, without an interview.
Renew by Mail
Some visa applicants may qualify to have their interview waived and renew their visas by mail if they are applying for a nonimmigrant visa in the same classification that expired within the last 48 months. Please find the information about renewing your visa by mail on our scheduling website page: Apply for a U.S. Visa/Renew My Visa. We do not accept applications dropped off in person.
Not Eligible to Apply by Mail?
If you are not eligible for a mail-in application, please follow the steps on the ustraveldocs.com page to complete the online application and schedule an in-person interview.
If you are a Swedish student or academic J applicant, and you are not eligible to apply by mail, and you are not able to find an interview date prior to your program start date, please follow the instructions on the ustraveldocs.com page to request an expedited appointment.
Foreign Government Officials, Diplomats, or members of the Swedish Armed Forces
If you are applying as a foreign government official, diplomat, please follow the instructions on our official travel pages.
Some things to note:
- Do not buy an airline ticket until you have your visa and passport back.
- We will need to keep your passport for several weeks to process the visa. If you have upcoming travel, please do not mail your passport to us until after you have returned from your travel and can leave your passport with us for several weeks.
- It is not possible to drop off or pick up your passport at the U.S. Embassy.
- Starting May 12, noncitizen nonimmigrant air passengers will no longer need to show proof of being fully vaccinated with an accepted COVID-19 vaccine to board a flight to the United States. See the Travel.state.gov website for more details.
- If you are not eligible for mail-in renewal, please follow the steps on the ustraveldocs.com webpage to complete the online application and schedule an in-person interview.