The U.S. Embassy in Stockholm processes the full range of visa categories. Please use our visa wizard to see what visa category is appropriate for your purpose of travel.
Depending on your category of visa, you may qualify to apply for or renew your visa by mail, without an interview.
Waiver of interview requirement for some first-time students and exchange visitors
We have waived the interview requirement for some first-time students and certain exchange visitors. We are able to receive applications by mail for F1, F2, M1 students and J1 and J2 academic exchange visitors, in the student, professor, research scholar, short-term scholar, and specialist category. No other categories of exchange visitors may benefit from this change and no other categories of J visa applications will be approved.
To take advantage of waiver of interview, you must meet all the program requirements for your visa class.
Waiver of interview requirement for some first-time employment visa applicants
We have waived the interview requirement for some first-time employment visa applicants. We are able to receive applications by mail for certain first-time employment-based visa applicants who have a petition approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), including applications in the H-1, H-3, H-4, L, O, P, and Q visa categories. Blanket L applications do not qualify for this new program and will require an interview.
To take advantage of the waiver for the interview requirement, you must meet all the program requirements for your visa class.
Not Eligible to Apply by Mail?
If you are not eligible for a mail-in application, please follow the steps on the ustraveldocs.com page to complete the online application and schedule an in-person interview.
If you are a Swedish student or academic J applicant, and you are not eligible to apply by mail, and you are not able to find an interview date prior to your program start date, please follow the instructions on the ustraveldocs.com page to request an expedited appointment.
Renew by Mail
Some visa applicants may qualify to have their interview waived and renew their visas by mail if they are applying for a nonimmigrant visa in the same classification that expired within the last 48 months. Please find the information about renewing your visa by mail on our scheduling website page: Apply for a U.S. Visa/Renew My Visa . We do not accept applications dropped off in person.
Foreign Government Officials, Diplomats, or members of the Swedish Armed Forces
If you are applying as a foreign government official, diplomat, please follow the instructions on our official travel pages.
Some things to note:
- Do not buy an airline ticket until you have your visa and passport back.
- We will need to keep your passport for several weeks to process the visa. If you have upcoming travel, please do not mail your passport to us until after you have returned from your travel and can leave your passport with us for several weeks.
- It is not possible to drop off or pick up your passport at the U.S. Embassy.
- Starting May 12, noncitizen nonimmigrant air passengers will no longer need to show proof of being fully vaccinated with an accepted COVID-19 vaccine to board a flight to the United States. See the Travel.state.gov website for more details.
- If you are not eligible for mail-in renewal, please follow the steps on the ustraveldocs.com webpage to complete the online application and schedule an in-person interview.