An official website of the United States government

Lost or Stolen Passports for Non-Residents of Sweden

If you are a visitor to Sweden and your passport has been lost or stolen, the Embassy can print you an emergency passport so you can travel back to the United States.
An emergency passport can usually be issued within 24 hours of application. We are unable to print emergency passports on weekends or holidays.
Note that not all countries accept emergency passports. See travel.state.gov for additional information. 
You will need to come to the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm in person to apply for your emergency passport.
At a minimum, you must come to the Embassy with a passport photo and payment (credit card, debit card, or US dollars cash). For faster service, please provide a completed application when you come to the Embassy:
Documents Required
  • Form DS-11 available online.  You must print the form but DO NOT sign
  • Form DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport. This form will automatically be generated if completing the online Form DS-11. Submitting this form will permanently declare your passport as lost/stolen. If your passport is recovered later, it will NOT BE VALID FOR TRAVEL.
  • One passport photograph. Photo booths can be found in many train stations in Sweden, select the larger 50X50 size on a white background. Photo standards are listed on the travel.state page.
  • Non-refundable application fee payable at the time of your appointment. You may pay by credit or with debit card.  We recommend you confirm with your bank that your card is unlocked for foreign transactions prior to your appointment to avoid any problems with your payment. We do not accept SEK cash payments.  The fee for applicants under 16 years old is $135 and for over 16 years old $165.
  • If available: Evidence of U.S. citizenship, examples below. If these documents are not available to you, we will still be able to process your application.
    • U.S. Birth Certificate
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Expired U.S. Passport
    • U.S. Passport Card
  • For applicants under 16, both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification. If only one parent is applying, provide either a birth certificate listing you as sole parent, a death certificate of the other parent, or a court order which lists you as having sole physical and legal custody of the child.
  • If the other parent is not available, the non-applying parent must complete the form DS-3053 . This form must be notarized, and the identification that was presented to the notary must be copied, back and front, and included with the form. We require the original of the DS-3053 to adjudicate the passport application.  In most cases, this means that the non-applying parent will have to FedEx or DHL the form to us.
  • Applicants aged 16-17 should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.  The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification

Be advised that the addressee must present a valid Swedish ID to retrieve registered mail from the designated local delivery location.

Set Up An Appointment
  • Click on the link below taking you to another website where you can choose a date and time slot of your choice. Make your appointment.
  • If there are no appointments before your departure date from Sweden, please use or ACS Navigator to send us an email. Select Passport Services and I am a tourist in Sweden to email us.
Processing Time for Regular and Emergency Passports

Upon receiving a complete application the processing time for a regular passport is 5-7 weeks. An emergency passport generally can be issued within 24 hours of application.