Voting is one of our most fundamental rights as U.S. citizens. U.S. elections are managed individually by the 50 states, four territories, and the District of Columbia. The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) works to ensure overseas citizens are aware of their right to vote and have the tools and resources to successfully do so – from anywhere in the world. Citizens overseas my register to vote and request an absentee ballot by filling out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), and sending it to their election office in their state of legal residence.
FVAP is tracking the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on overseas absentee voting during the 2020 election cycle. In light of COVID-19, here are some important things to remember:
- Submitting your Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) early is the best way to help ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible.
- Using the FPCA provides our overseas citizens with an option to receive balloting materials electronically.
- Using the FPCA early grants voters the ability to use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) as a backup ballot, if needed.
For more information on overseas voting and COVID-19, please visit the FVAP website or the links below.
- How is COVID-19 affecting the 2020 election cycle and voters overseas?
- What is my voting residence and why is it important?
- I am a U.S. citizen who has never resided in the United States, am I eligible to vote?
- Where can I find specific information about the 2020 election cycle and my state?
- How do I register to vote, request an absentee ballot, or check the status of my ballot?
For the latest COVID-19 information, please visit the following websites:
- The White House-CDC coronavirus website.
- U.S. Department of State’s Travel.State.Gov website
- U.S. Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://se.usembassy.gov/covid-19-coronavirus-information/ for information on conditions in Sweden.
- Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- U.S. Embassy, Stockholm, Sweden
Dag Hammarskjölds väg 31, 115 89 Stockholm
+46 (0) 8 783 53 00