Event: U.S. citizens may directly return to the United States with certain expired U.S. passports.
If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021.
You qualify for this exception if all the following are true:
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- You are currently abroad seeking direct return to the United States.
- You are flying directly to the United States, a United States territory, or have only short-term transit (“connecting flights”) through a foreign country on your direct return to the United States or to a United States Territory.
- Your expired passport was originally valid for 10 years. Or, if you were 15 years of age or younger when the passport was issued, your expired passport was valid for 5 years.
- Your expired passport is undamaged.
- Your expired passport is unaltered.
- Your expired passport is in your possession.
You do not qualify for this exception if:
- You wish to depart from the United States to an international destination.
- You are currently abroad seeking to travel to a foreign country for any length of stay longer than an airport connection en route to the United States or to a United States territory.
- Your expired passport was limited in validity.
- Your expired passport is a special issuance passport (such as a diplomatic, official, service, or no-fee regular passport).
- Your expired passport is damaged.
- Your expired passport is altered.
- Your expired passport is not in your possession.
Please be advised that currently, routine passport processing in the United States can take 10-12 weeks. If you need a passport in less than 10-12 weeks due to international travel plans, you can pay an additional $60 fee to expedite your passport, which will shorten the processing time to 4-6 weeks.
If your U.S. passport expired on or before December 31, 2019, please see our website for information on how to renew your passport before traveling.
Actions to Take:
- If you choose to utilize this option and currently hold an appointment at U.S. Embassy Stockholm that you will not attend, please cancel the appointment and notify us so that we may offer the time to another U.S. citizen
Keep your STEP enrollment active
- Encourage U.S. citizen friends and family to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), so the U.S. Embassy can contact them with updated information. If you plan to remain in Sweden beyond your previously planned travel dates, remember to modify your STEP profile in order to continue to receive information and emergency alerts.
Monitor the following U.S. Government websites
- Embassy webpage for information on conditions in Sweden.
- CDC website for the most up-to-date health information.
- COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest travel information.
- Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection for the latest on travel restrictions for entry into the United States.
- Travel.state.gov’s Sweden Information and Travel Advisory page for Sweden-specific information.
Monitor the following Swedish Government websites
- Krisinformation.se for information regarding entry restrictions in place for travelers to Sweden.
- Polisen for information regarding the enforcement of entry restrictions to Sweden.
- The Swedish Public Health Agency for information related to COVID-19.
- Swedish Migration Agency
Monitor the following additional suggested websites
- Airlines, buses, trains, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Follow us on
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/usembsweden and https://twitter.com/USAmbSweden
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stockholm.usembassy
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/usembsweden/ and https://www.instagram.com/usambsweden/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/76363986/admin/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/USEmbassySweden/featured
For Assistance: The U.S. Embassy is continually monitoring the situation in Sweden so we can ensure we have the most up-to-date information. We continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens.
To contact us:
U.S. Embassy, Stockholm, Sweden
Dag Hammarskjölds väg 31, 115 89 Stockholm
+46 (0)8 783 53 00