An official website of the United States government

Diplomats, International Organization & Foreign Military Personnel
January 30, 2023

Official Travel to the United States

With the exception of a Head of State or Government who qualifies for an A-1 visa regardless of the purpose of the visit to the United States, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon the reason for entering the United States.

Diplomats and other foreign government officials traveling to the United States to engage solely in official duties or activities on behalf of their national government must obtain A-1 or A-2 visas prior to entering the United States; they cannot travel using visitor visas or under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Government officials traveling to the United States to perform non-governmental functions of a commercial nature or traveling as tourists require the appropriate H, L or B visa, or if qualified, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program; they do not qualify for diplomatic or official visas.

Spouses, Partners and Children:
Immediate family members are defined as the spouse and unmarried sons and daughters of any age who are members of the household. They are eligible for a derivative visa. Individuals who do not qualify as immediate family members may be eligible to apply for B-1/B-2 visas. B-1/B-2 visa applicants are required to pay the MRV application fee, and reciprocal issuance fees, if applicable.

Visa Processing and Issuance Fees:
Diplomatic passport holders are exempt from paying visa fees for all types of visas. Regular and official passport holders are not charged visa application fees for official visas, but are required to pay visa application and reciprocal issuance fees, if applicable, for all non-official visas.


How to Apply

Any Diplomatic or Official visa application accompanied by all necessary supporting documentation must be sent in by registered mail service, or delivered to the Embassy of the United States by a recognized courier service. The mailing address for any Diplomatic or Official Visa application is:

Non-Immigrant Visa Unit
Embassy of the United States of America
Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31
SE-115 89 Stockholm

All Diplomatic/Official visa applicants must provide:

  • Confirmation page of the electronic application form DS-160 (containing a barcode);
  • A valid passport;
  • If available, any old passports containing visas to the United States (valid or expired);
  • One approx. 5 x 5 cm color photograph; (Starting November 1, 2016, eye glasses will no longer be allowed in visa photos.):
    – Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
    – Photo must be taken with a plain white background
    – Photo cannot be older than 6 months
    – Photo must be printed on photo quality paper
    If you have successfully uploaded a photograph to the DS-160, you are not required to submit an additional photograph with your application.  If there are any issues with the uploaded photograph, however, you will be required to provide a new one which may delay the processing of your application.
  • Diplomatic Note / Verbal Note / Official Visa Request. In many cases the note is sent directly to Consular section by the appropriate protocol office. The Note should list the name of the official travelers and specify their date of birth, title or official status.  It should also specify the place of assignment or visit, purpose of travel, brief description of duties, travel date, anticipated length of stay or tour of duty in the United States and the names, relationships, and dates of birth of any dependents and other members of the household who will be accompanying or joining the principal applicant.
  • Registered Waybill / Shipment label for registered delivery (unless your protocol office has a specific agreement with the consular section). The waybill for registered service (REK) can be ordered as an PDF document from the Swedish Postal Services (Post Nord), Skicka Direkt, or for organizations by using PacSoft Online (100g 1-2 passports, 250g 3-5 passports, Sender=US Embassy, Recipient=the address where you want your documents), and must contain a barcode. Kindly note that pre-arranged envelopes with stamps, ‘porto betalt stamp’, ‘svarspost’ or ‘frisvar’ addresses cannot be used for the document return.

In addition:

Any immediate family members to A1 – A2, G1 – G4 visa holders should also provide:


A-3 and G-5 visa applicants are in addition required to furnish: 

  • A copy of the employer’s diplomatic visa;
  • English language contact signed by both employer and employee that at a minimum must include the following:
    • hours of work and medical insurance;
    • a guarantee that the employee will be compensated at the state or federal minimum or prevailing wage, whichever is greater. Any deductions for food and lodging must be no more than reasonable and voluntarily agreed to on the part of the employee;
    • the employee will not accept any other employment while working for the employer;
    • the employer agrees not to withhold the passport of the employee; and
    • If you have ever been arrested and/or have a criminal conviction , have a medical ineligibility, have been denied entry into or deported from the United States, the documents relating to this.
  • A-3 visa applicants must furnish a Note Verbale listing the name of the employee, and the employer’s official title or status.  It should also specify the date of departure from Sweden, and the purpose of the trip and length of stay in the United States; and
  • G-5 visa applicants the original official request from the international organization, if it has not been sent directly to the Embassy.