An official website of the United States government

Passports for Minors Under Age 16

The Department of State requires the personal appearance of all minors applying for U.S. passports. This applies even if the child has previously been issued a passport, regardless of place of issuance. The State Department strongly encourages both parents/legal guardians to apply in person for passports for their children. Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must submit proof of their relationship to the minor applicant and proof of parental consent.

How to Renew a Passport for a Minor under Age 16

Step 1: Complete the form DS-11. Complete the form online, and then print it. Do not sign it.

Social Security Number: Please note that according to U.S. law (26 USC 6039E) applicants for U.S. passports must provide a correct Social Security Number on the passport application. Failure to provide a Social Security Number if you have been issued one can result in a $500 fine enforced by the IRS. If you have never been issued a Social Security Number, write zeros in the boxes and sign the affidavit of no Social Security number.

Step 2: Obtain two passport photos for the child. Photo standards are listed on the travel.state page.

Step 3: Obtain the child’s birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and one copy. Both parents who are listed on the birth certificate, along with the child, are required to attend the interview. If two parents are not attending the interview, see the “if applicable” information at the bottom of this page.

Step 4: Make one copy of the government issued photo identification for the applying parent(s). You may copy both IDs on the same page. Bring the original IDs with you to the appointment.

Step 5: Make one copy of the biodata page of the child’s current passport to bring to the appointment. If the child’s current passport has been lost or stolen, the DS-11 will automatically generate an additional form that you will need to bring with you to the appointment.

Step 6: Make an appointment. The link below will take you to our online calendar where you can choose a date and time slot of your choice. Make your appointment

Step 7: If you would like your passports returned via a trackable method to a Postnord location use registered mail and obtain a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope size A4 to A5 filled out with the address in Sweden where you want it sent.  Registered mail labels should be ordered on Postnord’s website, not in person at a Postnord office to avoid problems with the waybill.

If you would like to have your passport delivered by standard service, you may send a stamped self-addressed envelope with enough postage affixed for 250g (for one applicant) or 500g (for two applicants) and your passport will be delivered to you at the address you specify on the envelope.  Note that standard service does not allow for tracking of your package.

We do not have stamps for purchase locally. We do not allow pick-ups of new passports you must provide a waybill or stamps to have them mailed back. Please be aware that postage labels are valid for 90 days from purchase. Do not purchase your postage label more than one week before your appointment to avoid delays.

Step 8: Payment for the passport application is made at the Embassy on the day of the interview. The fee is $135. You may pay by credit or debit card. We recommend you confirm with your bank that your card is unlocked for foreign transactions prior to your appointment to avoid any problems with your payment. We do not accept SEK cash payments.  You may also consult the Department of State’s Passport Fee Calculator for further information and guidance on passport fees, as well as changes to the official schedule of fees.

If you bring all of the required documents above to your interview, the standard processing time is 5-7 weeks.

If applicable:

  • If only one parent is applying, provide either a birth certificate listing you as sole parent, a death certificate of the other parent, or a court order which lists you as having sole physical and legal custody of the child.
  • If one parent is not available, the non-applying parent must complete the form DS-3053. This form must be notarized, and the identification that was presented to the notary must be copied, back and front, and included with the form. We require the original of the DS-3053 to adjudicate the passport application.