An official website of the United States government


Relinquishment of U.S. citizenship by performing certain potentially expatriating acts, including taking the oath of renunciation of U.S. citizenship, voluntarily and with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship, is a personal right and can never be exercised on a person’s behalf. For example, a person’s parent(s) or legal guardian may not take the oath for renunciation for that person. A Certificate of Loss of Nationality (CLN) approved by the Department of State is the final agency determination of loss of U.S. nationality. The steps below provide instructions for requesting a CLN based on taking an oath of renunciation under Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) Section  349(a)(5), 8 USC 1481(a)(5).

Oath of Renunciation of U.S. Nationality

U.S. Embassy Stockholm processes requests to take the oath of renunciation of U.S. citizenship. Minors, individuals who do not read or write English, individuals with mental health/cognitive disability or impairment and/or guardianship, and those for whom loss of U.S. nationality would result in statelessness, are invited to contact the Embassy directly via the U.S. Embassy Stockholm ACS Navigator (google.com) to discuss taking the oath of renunciation.

Taking an oath to renounce U.S. nationality before a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer overseas is a serious and irrevocable act. Therefore, you should carefully consider and fully understand the consequences and ramifications of this act prior to your decision to begin the process.


1 – Review the legal requirements and consequences/ramifications of taking the oath of renunciation of U.S. citizenship.

Please read the information available online at the Department of State and Internal Revenue Service links below regarding the legal requirements for taking the oath of renunciation before beginning this process. Loss of U.S. nationality is irrevocable, and you should fully understand the consequences and ramifications before beginning this process.

For questions related to possible U.S. tax implications, please contact the Internal Revenue Service and/or review the Joint Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) FAQ.

For questions related to Social Security Administration (SSA) or other federal benefits, please contact the Federal Benefits Unit.

Department of State and Internal Revenue Service links:

2 – Please gather all the required documents below:

  • ORIGINAL U.S. Birth Certificate (issued by your State of birth) or ORIGINAL Consular Report of Birth Abroad or ORIGINAL Naturalization Certificate
  • ORIGINAL most recent U.S. Passport
  • ORIGINAL most recent foreign valid Passport(s) or Government-issued ID Card(s) – If you possess multiple nationalities, bring Passport or Government-issued ID for all nationalities
  • ORIGINAL proof of any name change (marriage certificate, court order, divorce decree, etc.), if applicable
  • Completed Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire and Informal Acknowledgement Form (sent by email from American Citizens Services after inquiry)

3 – To initiate the process and receive further instructions, please scan and submit copies of the required documents the the Embassy via the U.S. Embassy Stockholm ACS Navigator (google.com).

**In the body of your email, with the above documents attached, please also include your:

  • Last Name
  • First Name
  • Middle Name(s)
  • Any other Names used
  • Date and Place of birth (Month/Day/Year + City/State, if applicable/Country)
  • Telephone number

4 – You will receive a confirmation Email with further instructions.


Immediately prior to taking the oath of renunciation, you must pay the non-refundable fee of $2,350 USD for administrative processing of a request for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality (credit cards accepted) The fee is not waivable, nor is it refundable if your request for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality is denied. We accept payment with credit and or debit cards on the day of your appointment, we do not accept cash in SEK.

Frequently Asked Questions

How many interviews are there?

There is an initial interview which most individuals may conduct electronically or by phone. A second, in-person interview will take place at the U.S. Embassy, Stockholm, Sweden at the time of your appointment.

Can the fee be waived?

The current U.S. consular services fee for “Administrative Processing of Request for Certificate of Loss of Nationality” is $2,350. It cannot be waived. See 22 CFR 22.1

Where can I find more information on the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)?

Please see the joint FATCA frequently asked questions on the travel.state.gov website.

How long will it take?

Your completed package to request a CLN will be sent to the U.S. Department of State for final determination.  The Department of State will review each request for a CLN to determine whether there is a legal basis to approve it. This process may take several months or more.  The embassy or consulate may contact you for further information before the Department of State decides your case.  The embassy or consulate will email you if and when your request has been approved.  If your request is denied, the embassy will send you an email attaching a denial letter.

If your renunciation application is approved, your Certificate of Loss of Nationality will reflect the effective date of expatriation as the date on which you took the Oath/Affirmation of Renunciation.

What happens to my U.S. Citizenship document(s)?

Pending approval of your application, you remain a U.S. Citizen.  Your U.S. birth certificate (if applicable) will be returned to you on the day of your application. However, your U.S. passport (if applicable) and other proof of U.S. Citizenship (Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship, as applicable) will be retained by the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm while awaiting approval.

Upon approval of your application, the original Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship (if applicable) will not be returned to you, but will be forwarded to the Department of Homeland Security upon the issuance of the Certificate of Loss of Nationality. Your U.S. passport (if applicable) will be canceled, annotated, and returned to you. The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (if applicable) will be annotated and returned to you.

May I travel to the USA  while I am waiting for my Certificate of Loss of Nationality (CLN)?

Travel to the United States before final approval of the Certificate of Loss of Nationality is generally possible, but strongly discouraged.  If you have urgent travel/transit to/in the United States before receipt of the final certificate, please contact us via e-mail: stkacsinfo@state.gov.