U.S. Embassy Stockholm informs U.S. citizens that several marches are planned for September 30 in Gothenburg. Counter demonstrations are also expected there. Past demonstrations involving these groups have turned violent. Embassy Stockholm urges U.S. citizens to avoid these areas during September 30, as outlined below. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
The demonstration is planned to commence at approximately 12:00, 300 meters north of the Book Fair on Sten Sturegatan, and then follow Sten Sturegatan north to Parkgatan. The demonstration will continue on Parkgatan until demonstrators reach Gamla Ullevi football stadium, where the demonstration is planned to conclude at 16:00.
In addition, at 1700 a football game in the Swedish second league will commence. At 1600 when the demonstration ends, the doors will open to the arena. The football club is expecting around 6,000 spectators for the game.
There will be a significant police presence and based upon current major media reporting, there is also expected to be numerous demonstrators of various interests present. Past demonstrations involving these groups in Gothenburg have turned violent. Accordingly, you should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if you inadvertently find yourself in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Please refer to the attached map indicating the planned route of the demonstration, noting that this is the current route, and that it may change pending appeals to Swedish authorities.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Sweden Country Specific Information.
- Enrol in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy is located on Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31 in Stockholm and is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; telephone +46 08 783 5300; E-mail: email@example.com; webpage: U.S. Embassy Sweden.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook