Notice: You may be requested to rebook your appointment if you fail to provide the required documentation and items above. Ensure that you come fully prepared to your appointment!
You are required to complete but NOT sign the following forms:
- Form DS 2029 – Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Form DS 11 – Application for a Passport
- Form SS-5 – Application for a Social Security Number. Note: The Embassy in Stockholm can only accept Social Security applications for first-time U.S. citizens over the age of 12. If your child is under the age of 12 and is also applying for a full validity passport, you will be required to wait until the passport is issued and apply for the social security number through the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. embassy Oslo, Norway.
You are required to present the forms together with the documents listed below. If any of the documents are not in English, please bring a translation by an authorized translator.
- Child’s Swedish birth certificate: Long form Swedish birth certificate listing both the child and parents’ information. Short form birth certificates listing just the child are not acceptable;
- Marriage certificate: An original or court certified copy of the marriage certificate issued by the appropriate authorities in the country in which the marriage took place. Church/Religious certificates are not acceptable. If the parents are not married, this is not required;
- Divorce or death certificate: If either parent has been married previously, they should present the original or court certified divorce decree or death certificate for all previous marriages;
- Evidence of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship. The U.S. citizen parent(s) must present his/her U.S. passport. If the U.S. citizen parent was naturalized, the original Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship is required;
- Proof of Physical Presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s). The U.S. citizen parent(s) will be asked to present proof of their physical presence in the United States. Examples of proof of physical presence include school records, university transcripts, original W-2s, and employment records. Please refer to our website to review the physical presence requirements for transmission of citizenship and ensure you are bringing sufficient evidence to demonstrate the length of presence in the U.S. required for your circumstances;
- Passport/identification document for non-U.S. citizen parent: The non-U.S. citizen parent must bring his/her passport or other government issued photo identification document;
- Passport photograph for the child. Two passport sized (2×2 inch) photographs – see photo requirements for specific information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected;
- Self-Addressed C4 sized envelope.We cannot accept stamps or any other form of shipment. Failure to submit a shipment label according to the following instructions will only result in delays. Prepare an envelope with a shipment label ordered here (Skicka Direkt):Order Shipment Label Choose REK (registered mail) postage and the weight of 250g
- Use the following From/Från address:
- US Embassy, Attn ACS
Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31
SE-115 89 StockholmThe recipient (Till) is the person to which you would like your passport to be delivered (that is the name of the passport holder for an adult and the name of a parent for a minor). Be advised that the addressee must present a valid Swedish ID to retrieve registered mail from the designated local delivery location. Passport cards: An application for a passport book will take approximately three weeks to process and for a passport card, six to eight weeks. If you would like to receive your passport book before the passport card, please provide two return envelopes with your application. Otherwise we will keep your passport book until we receive the passport card.
- Application Fee(s)
You may download the checklist as a PDF here. You are not required to bring the checklist with you; it is for your information only.