Required Documents

Notice: You may be requested to rebook your appointment if you fail to provide the required documentation. 

You are required to complete but NOT sign the following forms

You are required to present the forms together with the documents listed below.  If any of the documents are not in English, please bring a translation by an authorized translator. Documents requested from Skatteverket should be requested in English. 

  • Child’s Swedish birth certificate:  Long form Swedish birth certificate in English listing both the child and parents’ information.  Short form birth certificates listing just the child are not acceptable; and one copy
  • Marriage certificate:  An original or court certified copy of the marriage certificate issued by the appropriate authorities in the country in which the marriage took place. Church/Religious certificates are not acceptable. If the parents are not married, this is not required; and one copy
  • Divorce or death certificate:  If either parent has been married previously, they should present the original or court certified divorce decree for all previous marriages; or any death certificates if applicable; and one copy 
  • Evidence of the parent(s) U.S. Citizenship. The U.S. Citizen parent(s) must present his/her U.S. Passport. If the U.S. Citizen parent was naturalized, the original Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship is required; and three copies of the photo/ID page
  • Proof of Physical Presence in the United States of the U.S. Citizen parent(s). The U.S. Citizen parent(s) will be asked to present proof of their physical presence in the United States. Examples of proof of physical presence include school records, university transcripts, original W-2s, and employment records. Please refer to our website to review the physical presence requirements for transmission of citizenship and ensure you are bringing sufficient evidence to demonstrate the length of presence in the U.S. required for your circumstances;
  • Passport/identification document for non-citizen parent: The non-citizen parent must bring his/her passport or other government issued photo identification document; and two copies of the photo/ID page
  • Passport photograph for the child.  Two passport sized (2×2 inch) photographs – see photo requirements for specific information.  Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected;
  • Self-Addressed C4 sized envelope.We cannot accept stamps or any other form of shipment.
    Prepare an envelope with a shipment label ordered here (Skicka Direkt): Order Shipment Label 
    Choose REK (registered mail) postage and the weight of 250g
    Use the following From/Från address:
    U.S. Embassy, Attn: ACS
    Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31
    SE-115 89 Stockholm
    The recipient (Till) is the person to which you would like your passport to be delivered (that is the name of the passport holder for an adult and the name of a parent for a minor).
    Be advised that the addressee must present a valid Swedish ID to retrieve registered mail from the designated local delivery location
  • Application Fee(s)

You may download the checklist as a PDF here.  You are not required to bring the checklist with you; it is for your information only.