Citizenship Services

Passport Renewal by Mail: If you are renewing an adult 10-year passport (DS-82 application) you do not need to come into the Embassy for an appointment. Using our Pay.Gov pilot program, you can even pay for your passport renewal online. Check requirements for renewal by mail at Not only is renewing your passport by mail easier for you, it avoids COVID risks for everyone! Follow the steps on our passport renewal webpage to renew by mail and pay online.


What Service Do You Require?

Find information about transmitting citizenship – for children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents, non-U.S. citizen can find information about immigrant visas here.

The U.S. Embassy in Stockholm accepts applications for Consular Reports of Birth (CRBA) for children born in Sweden to U.S. Citizen parent(s) and applications from first time applicants over age 18 born in Sweden to U.S. citizen parent(s) who have a claim to U.S. citizenship.

The Embassy can also accept applications for a CRBA for children born outside Sweden, if child and parent(s) are currently residing in our consular district.

A first-time applicant is an adult, age 18 or older, who has never been documented as a U.S. citizen nor held a U.S. passport. Please consult the transmission requirements for detailed information.  If, after reviewing these requirements, you believe that you qualify, please follow the instructions below.

Complete but do not sign, the following forms:

  • Form DS-11  – complete online and then print it.
  • Your U.S. citizen parent must complete the Affidavit of Physical Presence DS-5507. It may be signed at the time of your appointment, or if your U.S. citizen parent is unable to accompany you to your appointment, it can be signed before a notary.
Also obtain the following:
  • Proof of your U.S. citizen parent’s U.S. citizenship, e.g. a U.S. birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a U.S. passport; original and one copy
  • Your Swedish birth certificate which must list the names of your father and mother – a “Personbevis” in English from the Swedish tax authorities (Skatteverket); original and one copy
  • Proof of your U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States. Proof could consist of school transcripts, college transcripts, military service records, or employment records etc. You must bring photocopies of all documents pertaining to your parent’s physical presence in addition to the actual documents.
If applicable:
  • If your parents were married at the time of your birth, obtain their original marriage certificate. If either was divorced previously, obtain original divorce decrees terminating the previous marriage. Original and one copy
  • If your parents were not married at the time of your birth, and your father was a U.S. citizen, you must also submit a signed and dated paternity acknowledgment. Original and one copy
  • If your U.S. citizen parent is deceased, you must also present proof that your parent was a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth, e.g. a U.S. birth certificate/Certificate of Naturalization and/or a U.S. passport issued before your birth. You must also present their original death certificate. Original documents and one copy are required.


When all forms have been completed and all necessary documents gathered, please make an appointment for passport services. At the time of your appointment, you will be required to pay a $165 application fee, payable by credit card or U.S. dollars cash. Note: We no longer accept SEK cash.  To use a credit card, it must be unlocked for foreign/U.S. transactions.  If paying by USD, the bills must be clean, unmarked, and undamaged.  We do not accept personal checks.  If your application is approved, processing time is approximately 3-4 weeks.

Since July 1, 2001, Sweden allows dual citizenship. U.S. citizens residing in Sweden who are interested in applying for Swedish citizenship should be aware of the following guidance on U.S. nationality policy:

Information on dual nationality

Advice about possible loss of U.S. citizenship and dual nationality

Information on renunciation of U.S. citizenship

Read more about the U.S. standpoint on citizenship and nationality at the State Department website.

Entering and Departing the U.S.

According to Section 215 of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185), it is illegal for an American citizen to enter or leave the U.S. on anything other than an American passport. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both Swedish and American citizenships and passports must enter and leave the U.S. on a U.S. passport. They may not enter/leave the U.S. on a Swedish passport. This applies to children as well as adults.