Emergency Financial Assistance

Out of Money?

Fund transfers from the U.S. are straightforward. Most people can arrange family or friends to get them money through commercial channels with the help of a collect phone call. Money on credits and through Western Union is the fastest and easiest. Although there is a mechanism for transferring funds through the Department of State, it is slower and more complex than through commercial channels in a country like Sweden.

Western Union

Money can be transferred from the U.S. or from anywhere else in the world, to you in Sweden within minutes through Western Union. Money can be sent at an agent location, be transferred online, or by phone. More details can be found on the Western Union website.

Western Union Agents in Sweden

Western Union agents are found in shops, food stores, newsagents and tobacconists or bureau de change. Please note the all X-Change offices and Pressbyrån stores are Western Union agents, and they can both most easily be found in Stockholm at the Central station. Other locations can be found on the Western Union website.


Another way of transferring money is through MoneyGram. MoneyGram agents can be found at Forex offices across Sweden.

Further Assistance

U.S. consuls can assist Americans abroad who are temporarily destitute due to unforeseen circumstances. Americans who find themselves in these circumstances should contact the Consulate General or the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 (during business hours) or 202-647-5225 (after hours) or send us an email directly at stkacsinfo@state.gov. Consular officers can help destitute Americans contact family, bank, or employer to arrange for transfer of funds. In some cases, these funds can be wired through the Department of State. For information on how a consular officer can help under these circumstances, see http://travel.state.gov/travel.