General Questions

Please find the answers to the most frequent questions relating to U.S. Citizens residing in, or visiting Sweden.

You need to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in the U.S. state where your license was issued. An online search should give you the relevant contact details. The U.S. Embassy in Sweden cannot assist with the renewal of your U.S. driver’s license.

Yes, as long as you have registered your marriage with the Swedish tax authorities (Skatteverket).

The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) does not apply to U.S. Citizens. Only citizens of Visa Waiver Program countries (such as Sweden) must apply for travel authorization online prior to traveling to the U.S. Please note that according to Section 215 of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185), it is illegal for a U.S. Citizen to enter or leave the U.S. on any other document than a U.S. Passport. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both Swedish and American citizenship and passports must enter and leave the U.S. on a U.S. Passport. They may not enter/leave the U.S. on a Swedish passport. This applies to children as well as adults.