ANNOUNCEMENT: As of December 4, the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm can not accept payment by postväxel. Any payment received by postväxel on or after this date will be returned to the customer.
Since November 8, 2020, U.S. Embassy Stockholm is accepting online fee payments for adult U.S. Passport renewal applications. Paying online allows you to mail your application to the U.S. Embassy without the need to apply in person. Please see our Passport Renewal webpage to determine if you are eligible for online fee payment.
U.S. Citizens residing or traveling abroad who require a U.S. Passport are issued the latest state-of-the-art passports that incorporate photo-digitized images and other enhanced security features. These passports are produced at a domestic U.S. passport facility. U.S. Citizens are encouraged to apply early for renewal of expiring passports.
Reminder for Dual National U.S. Citizens: U.S. law requires all U.S. Citizens, including dual-national citizens, to enter the United States using their U.S. Passport. We urge all U.S. Citizens to keep their U.S. Passports current.
The American Citizens Services unit at the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm has resumed scheduling limited in-person passport application appointments. If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail, use this option to avoid wait times for an in-person appointment.
Please follow the below tips to ensure an efficient process:
- Complete the passport application online and then print it rather than downloading the pdf and completing it by hand
- Ensure you have all the documents, fees, and photographs as listed in the service sections at the bottom of this page
- Do not bring laptops, cameras, or any other electronic devices to the embassy (cellphones may be stored at the entrance)
- Effective May 26th, all visitors to the U.S. Embassy, including those for U.S. Citizen services and visa appointments, are required to wear face coverings at all times while inside the Embassy and Consular Section. Visitors are expected to bring their own masks/face coverings when visiting and may be turned away if they are unable to comply with this requirement. Please visit this CDC webpage for tips on how to create and effectively use cloth face coverings
All U.S. Passports will be returned to applicants with registered mail (rekommenderad) within Sweden. We cannot accept stamps or any other form of shipment. Failure to submit a shipment label according to the instructions will only result in delays.
Application forms and a comprehensive overview on applying for a passport outside of the United States can be found on the Department of State’s travel website.
All passport applications are forwarded by the Embassy to the U.S. for passport printing. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATIONS DIRECTLY TO THE U.S. More information can be found by selecting your specific passport service from the menu below.
Upon receiving a complete application the processing time for a passport is approximately 15 business days.
You must Apply In Person If:
- You are applying for your first U.S. Passport;
- You are under age 16;
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16;
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago;
- Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to document your name change; or
- Your passport was lost, stolen, or damaged.
What Service Do You Require?
Passport Renewal by Mail
Information about who is eligible to renew a passport by mail, and how to go about.
If you were issued an emergency, limited-validity passport at an Embassy or Consulate because you had urgent need of travel, you should apply to renew this passport for a full-validity passport as soon as possible.