Passport Services

March, April, and May are our busiest months for passport applications.  Please follow the below tips to ensure an efficient process:

  1. Complete the passport application online and then print it rather than downloading the pdf and completing it by hand
  2. Apply for passports as soon as possible, do not wait until the last minute
  3. Ensure you have all the documents, fees, and photographs as listed in the service sections at the bottom of this page
  4. Do not bring laptops, cameras, or any other electronic devices to the embassy (cellphones may be stored at the entrance)

Information about third party attendance at Passport and CRBA appointment interviews (click here)

All U.S. passports must be sent with registered mail (rekommenderad) within Sweden. We cannot accept stamps or any other form of shipment. Failure to submit a shipment label according to the instructions will only result in delays. 

Application forms and a comprehensive overview on applying for a passport outside of the United States can be found on the Department of State’s travel website.

All passport applications are forwarded by the Embassy to the U.S. for passport printing. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATIONS DIRECTLY TO THE U.S.  More information can be found by selecting your specific passport service from the menu below.

Upon receiving a complete application the processing time for a passport is approximately 15 business days.

You must Apply In Person If:

What Service Do You Require?


Information about who is eligible to renew a passport by mail, and how to go about.

If you were issued an emergency, limited-validity passport at an Embassy or Consulate because you had urgent need of travel, you should apply to renew this passport for a full-validity passport as soon as possible.

If the passport is for a minor under age 16, please note that there are specific requirements that apply to such applications.

Information for individuals who needs to report a lost or stolen passport, and how to obtain a replacement passport.

Information about how to amend a passport for change of name or data correction.