Renew a Passport

Eligibility Requirements for U.S. Citizen Adult Passport Renewals by Mail

  • You can submit your most recent passport book and/or U.S. passport card;
  • You were at least 16 years old when your most recent passport book and/or passport card was issued;
  • You hold a 10-year passport which was issued within the past 15 years;
  • Your U.S. Passport has not been limited from the normal 10-year validity period due to passport damage/mutilation or multiple passport thefts/losses; and
  • You are not requesting a change in the passport data, other than a name change due to marriage or divorce or court order for which you can submit official documentation (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order) to support the name change.

If you do not meet these criteria, please see “Apply for a Passport” for instructions on making an appointment to submit a DS-11 passport application in person at the Embassy.

DS-82 Passport Renewal Form Submission Options

U.S. Embassy Stockholm is accepting online fee payments for adult U.S. Passport renewal applications.  Paying online allows you to mail your application to the U.S. Embassy without the need to apply in person.  Qualifying adult passport renewal applicants may pay the $110 passport renewal fee online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S. based bank account, Amazon Pay, or PayPal.  Please see our online renewal eligibility wizard to determine if you are eligible for online fee payment.

Applicants who wish to apply for their passport renewal in person may still do so.  This requires an appointment and paying the fees to our cashier at the Embassy.  Click here to schedule an in-person appointment.

Instructions for DS-82 Processing by Mail and Online Fee Payment – for U.S. Citizens Residing in Sweden:

Step 1:  Complete the DS-82 Passport Renewal Form.  Please complete the entire form online and then print.  Be sure to sign and date the form where indicated.

Social Security Number: Please note that according to U.S. law (26 USC 6039E) applicants for U.S. passports must provide a correct Social Security Number on the passport application. Failure to provide a Social Security Number if you have been issued one can result in a $500 fine enforced by the IRS. If you have never been issued a Social Security Number, write zeros in the boxes and sign the affidavit of no Social Security number.

Step 2:  Obtain one color passport photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; full face, frontal view against a plain white or off-white background.

Step 3:  Include the passport you are renewing in the package you mail to the Embassy.

Step 4:  Pay the $110 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment siteYou must print the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email after successfully paying the fee and include it in the package you send to the embassy. Note: We do not accept any other forms of payment for mail in applications.

Step 5:  Obtain a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope (with the complete address to which you want your new passport sent within Sweden).  It is no longer possible to send registered mail (REK) with Swedish stamps so please order a shipment label on Postnord’s website.

IMPORTANT: Include a return address on BOTH the mailing and self-addressed envelope! All envelopes without a return address will be rejected.  Be advised that the addressee must present a valid Swedish ID to retrieve registered mail from the designated local delivery location.

Step 6:  Mail all the items listed above to the U.S. Embassy in Sweden at the address below using registered mail.

U.S. Embassy Stockholm
Attn: Consular – American Citizen Services
Dag Hammarskjölds väg 31
SE-115 89 Stockholm

Passport processing takes approximately 3-4 weeks.