Report a Lost or Stolen Passport

To replace a lost or stolen passport, please follow the below instructions step by step.

Important Notice: You must have an appointment for this service. Follow the step-by-step instructions below and click on the link taking you to our online calendar where you can choose a date and time slot of your choice.

STEP 1: Obtain a Police Report

  • Report the loss of the passport to the police and obtain a copy of the police report. You must present the report at the Embassy. This applies to both lost and stolen passports.

STEP 2: Present Proof of Identity and Citizenship

  • You need to present proof of identity and proof of U.S. citizenship. Proof of identity should include your photo, such as a driver’s license. Proof of citizenship would be the original U.S. birth certificate (or Consular Report of Birth), Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or an old canceled U.S. passport.If you cannot submit any of these documents, please contact the ACS unit at

STEP 3: Submit Passport Application

  • Passport applications (DS 11 and DS 64) are downloaded from the Department of State’s website. Please disregard the instructions printed on pages 1-2 since that information pertains to passport processing when residing in the U.S.
  • Please download both Form DS 11 (PDF – 89 KB) and Form DS 64 (PDF – 367 KB).Please note that according to U.S. law (26 USC 6039E) applicants for U.S. passports must provide a correct Social Security Number on the passport application. Failure to provide a Social Security Number if you have been issued one can result in a $500 fine enforced by the IRS. If you have never been issued a Social Security Number, write zeros in the boxes.For children under age 16, there are additional requirements.

STEP 4: Include Photographs

  • Two identical, recent, passport photos are required. The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements.

STEP 5: Pay Fee

  • The fee for in person renewal of an adult passport is $145.00, and $115.00 for children under the age of 16. You may pay with a credit card.

STEP 6: Postage

We cannot accept stamps or any other form of shipment. Failure to submit a shipment label according to the following instructions will only result in delays. 

Prepare a shipment label ordered here (Skicka Direkt):

Order Shipment Label

Choose REK (registered mail) postage and the weight of 50g-2kg:

Use the following From/Från address:

US Embassy, Attn: ACS
Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31
SE-115 89 Stockholm

The recipient (Till) is the person to which you would like your passport to be delivered (that is the name of the passport holder for an adult and the name of a parent for a minor).

Be advised that the addressee must present a valid Swedish ID to retrieve registered mail from the designated local delivery location.

Passport cards: An application for a passport book will take approximately three weeks to process and for a passport card, six to eight weeks.  If you would like to receive your passport book before the passport card, please provide two return envelopes with your application. Otherwise we will keep your passport book until we receive the passport card.

If no envelope with shipment label covering registered mail is submitted, the Embassy will be unable to process the application.

STEP 7: Set Up An Appointment

  • Click on the link below taking you to another website where you can choose a date and time slot of your choice. Make your appointment.

Processing Time for Regular and Temporary Passports

Upon receiving a complete application the processing time for a regular passport is approximately 15 business days. A temporary passport can be issued within 24 hours.