If your child has a claim to U.S. Citizenship, s/he is required to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. Passport. S/he should not enter the United States on a foreign passport with a visa, or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

If you are eligible to transmit citizenship, you may register your child’s birth at the Embassy and obtain a passport and social security number for him or her. The instructions and information on making an appointment are available on our Consular Report of Birth Abroad page.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240, is official evidence of U.S. Citizenship issued to a person under the age of 18 who was born abroad to U.S. Citizen parent(s) and acquired citizenship at birth.

The birth should be reported to us as soon as possible after the baby is born and before his or her first trip to the United States. Persons over the age of 18 are not eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Adoption by a U.S. citizen parent does not automatically confer citizenship, but it does qualify a child for expeditious naturalization, or citizenship upon entry into the United States. Read more.

U.S. citizenship is for life. No child has to do anything at any age to retain, choose, affirm, or confirm American citizenship.

No.  All children, including babies, must have their own passport.

Yes. All children under the age of 18 are required to appear in person for all passport services. Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by both parents. An appointment will be required; please see the instructions for your specific passport service for more information.

Yes, the consent of both parents/legal guardians is required, even if one parent is not a U.S. citizen. Read more…

The other parent may submit his/her consent by completing form DS-3053 before a notary and submitting acceptable ID. Read more…

Children aged 14 and over may sign their own passports. For children under the age of 14, a parent should sign. In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child’s name and sign his/her own name. Then, in parentheses, by the parent’s name, write the word (mother) or (father) so we know who signed for the child.

Because of increasing instances of child abduction in custody cases, and a growing number of children who are the victims of trafficking or pornography, an immigration officer, airline, or travel company may ask you to provide some form of letter of consent if your child is traveling internationally with only one parent or with another adult, such as a grandparent, aunt, uncle, etc.

For for more information please see Customs and Border Protection’s information center.

If you are a resident of Sweden and fear that your U.S. citizen child might be taken abroad by the other parent without the mutual consent of both parents, the child’s name can be entered into the U.S. Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP). The CPIAP is a service for the parents and legal guardians of minor children. It enables the Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues to notify a parent or legal guardian, when requested, before a U.S. passport is issued to that parent or legal guardian’s child. The parent, legal guardian, legal representative, or the court of competent jurisdiction must submit a written request for entry of a child’s name into the program, as well as supporting documents.

To request the entry of a Swedish resident child’s name into the CPIAP, please contact the Office of Children’s Issues at the Department of State directly here.