Due to COVID-19, the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm has suspended routine notary services, and we do not know when we will be able to resume routine services.

For those seeking to notarize documents for use in the United States, you may wish to consider using alternative options, to include utilizing a Swedish notary or a remote notarial service provider. A growing number of states accept documents notarized through online services; you will need to research whether they can be used in the state where your document will be filed. Remote notarization could fulfil your need for notary services more quickly.

We recommend that you register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP); click here for further information. Enrollment is voluntary and costs nothing and means that we can better assist you in case of an emergency while you are abroad. We encourage you to enroll whether you are visiting Sweden or residing here.

U.S. citizens may be asked to present a “certificate of good conduct” or “lack of a criminal record” for a variety of reasons for use abroad or in the United States, including adoption, school attendance, employment, etc.

Information on applying for a criminal records check is available from the Federal Bureau of Investigation website at http://www.fbi.gov. Alternatively you can contact the local police department where you reside or last resided in the United States to request that they conduct a criminal records search and provide you with a document reflecting that there is no history of a criminal record.

If you are a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Resident Alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

Unfortunately the U.S. Embassy is unable to assist in cashing stimulus checks. Many U.S. citizens who have bank accounts in the United States have been able to cash their check via that account, either remotely or in person.

If you don’t have a U.S. bank account you may want to consider opening one. Some banks in the United States will allow you to open an account remotely, but we are not able to recommend any particular bank. Some U.S. citizens have reported success reaching out to banks in the location of their last U.S. residence and opening accounts remotely – either online or through a mobile app.

For additional inquiries on this we recommend you reach out to the IRS.

You may also consider looking at the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) website, which has good, practical information about banks offering accounts that can be opened online.

It is difficult to trace someone in the United States when their whereabouts are completely unknown as there are no central records of names and addresses available to the public. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to provide you with information on U.S. Citizens, U.S. permanent residents, or foreign nationals who travel to or reside in the United States.  These records are protected by the Privacy Act and cannot be divulged to third parties.

We can assist in locating a U.S. Citizen in Sweden in cases of parental child abduction or missing persons cases, or when a friend or loved one has not arrived at a location on the scheduled date and time. We cannot, however, help you trace your ancestry in Sweden.  You may find the information on our website useful.