Applying for a passport

You may renew your passport at any time before or after it expires.

If you require a personal appearance for your renewal and do not have imminent travel plans, we ask that you do not request a regular appointment at this time to allow citizens with urgent needs to take advantage of any availability online. If you qualify for a mail-in renewal, follow the instructions to renew your passport.  

Yes. In nearly all cases, your old passport will be cancelled and returned to you with the new one. If we are not able to return your old passport for any reason, we will discuss this with you at the time of application.

We do not have the authority to transfer visas or stamps issued by other countries. When you renew your passport, your old passport will be cancelled and returned to you with your new one; you should then contact the appropriate authority of the country that issued the visa for further information.

For information regarding Swedish visas and permanent residence permits, please contact Migrationsverket directly.

No.  You must apply for the passport at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you are currently present.  If you are in Sweden, you must submit your application to this Embassy.

You should disregard the instructions on the passport forms as they refer specifically to passport applications processed in the United States. You should follow the instructions on this website.

In general, children under the age of 16 are issued passports valid for five years; those 16 and over are issued passports valid for ten years.

As of January 1, 2016, it is no longer possible to add extra pages to a U.S. passport.  You are required to apply for a new passport and in most cases may do so by mail.